Re: an interesting mechanical engineering problem

Tom, all,

I'm a full-time firefighter, going on over 18 years now, and
I'll admit, that is a novel way to use fire hose couplings.
However, I haven't seen any REAL brass coupling butts
in a number of years, as all of the new hose that my employer
is now buying comes with  couplings that appear to be made
of a ligth-weight, composite alloy. Additionally, the large
diameter hose (LDH) that we use to route the water from the
fireplug to the pumper truck is 5" diameter and has "Stortz
quik-connect" alloy couplings that only require a 90* turn to
connect/disconnect and can be done by hand with no spanner
wrench. Well, enough about the latest fire hose couplings, I'm
just saying that solid brass, threaded style couplings in the 4"
to 6" size category may not be as readily available today as
they were in days gone buy, mainly do to the weight issue
with brass. One may have to scrounge and salvage old LDH
fire hose to find real brass coupling butts.

David Rieben