From: Tesla list [mailto:tesla@xxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Wed 1/3/2007 2:50 AM
To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: magnetrons as diodes

Chris,

Magnetrons are a special case of high voltage vacuum tube diodes. As you point out, because of the strong magnets, the electron path is bent into a many-turn spiral. As the electrons speed by the slots going into the multiple cavities, they cause a resonant oscillation to build up in the phase-locked cavities. Take away the magnets, and the electron path goes straight between the cathode and anode, like any other diode, with the added advantage of having a built-on heat sink. There will be zero microwave production.

A good experiment would be to remove the magnets, hook it up to your MOT powered by a variac, feed the rectified output to a load, such as a few feet of water-filled hose with electrodes at each end, and measure the output voltage and drop across the magnetron. But BE CAREFUL - the voltage and current combination is LETHAL.
--Steve Young