Spark augmenter (will it work?)

Original poster: "K. C. Herrick" <kchdlh@xxxxxxx>

The colloquy under the topic "Concentric spheres- an hypothesis" led me to the "spark-augmenter" concept that I've diagrammed and will ask Chip to post as <http://www.pupman.com/current/kcherrick/augmentr>http://www.pupman.com/current/kcherrick/augmentr. I haven't quite gotten substantial sparks yet from my re-build so I can't try it. But perhaps someone will--or will shoot it down out-of-hand from first principles.

The idea stems from a) the observation that the concentric-sphere arrangement produces longer sparks than the same apparatus without the inner sphere; and b) my notion that a very rapid dv/dt applied to the top electrode will cause the electrode's charge momentarily to exceed the spark's capability to discharge it, because of the finite spark-propagation time. That notion would explain the concentric-sphere augmentation.

KCH