xray xfrmr powered coils

Original poster: Justin <rocketfuel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hi all,

I built my first coil around a pair of 12kV NSTs and am now thinking
about building something a little bigger.  I've come into possession of
an x-ray transformer that outputs +/- 62.5kV at 300mA (with 240V in) and
I'm wondering how best to harness the power.

Of course it will need a choke to limit current, but what I'm wondering
about is what primary circuit voltage to try to design for.  I seem to
recall seeing something about bang energy being related to the square of
voltage, so doubling voltage should quadruple the bang energy, right?
But then there is the problem of insulation.  I would think the primary
turns would need to be spaces farther apart to prevent inter-turn arcing
as well as the spark gap.

Is there any general rule of thumb for highest reasonable voltage to run
the primary at?

Thanks!

Justin in Austin