Re: The MMC debate continues . . . . . .

Original poster: Mike <megavolts61@xxxxxxxxx>

DC,
I'm not arguing with you on the coils you build and sell, but there are a lot of guys on this list who use MOT's with voltage doubling circuitry, which would keep the charge on the capactior if turned off durning the charging cycle of the cap. The diodes would prevent the charge from bleeding off therefore the bleeder resistors are a MUST. Therefore, for safety of new coilers, you should advocate the use of them rather than argue against their use.
My $0.02,
Mike

The two paths from the nst to it's center-tapped ground, the winding
resistance is perhaps 10K at maximum.  Using a 5RC time constant the
reduces the cap discharge time to under 10 seconds for most small and
medium nsts with their respective small cap bank values.  Perhaps
this is why our coils have never shocked anyone.  We always run on AC
and never DC.  Also, at higher potentials, the small dia of the cap
leads and any single sharp point on the cap bank board will bleed off
charge as corona in much the same manner as a high potential Van de
Graaff generator, even with it's symmetrical well-rounded terminal,
will bleed off over 400 kV into the ambient air, without being
discharged with a ground wand, in under 60 seconds.  The MMC caps are
at much lower potential but with their nst resistance path directly
to ground and any slightly sharp point on the cap board or
connections dangerous potentials are quickly bled off.

Dr. Resonance

Don't be flakey. <http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=43909/*http://mobile.yahoo.com/mail>Get Yahoo! Mail for Mobile and <http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=43909/*http://mobile.yahoo.com/mail>always stay connected to friends.