RE: 4 stage SISG

Original poster: G Hunter <dogbrain_39560@xxxxxxxxx>

> Spark Gaps, ARSG's, and SRSG's are now a part of
> history like the dinosaur.
>
> Mark

Uh huh.  So the SISG has done away with the spark gap
for good?  The same way the power boat did away with
sailing?  The way the cellphone did away with wired
phones?  The way the transistor did away with the tube
guitar amp?  The way the gun did away with archery?  I
could go on, but my list has grown tiresome, and I
have more than made my point.

I've priced suitable IGBTs.  "Sticker shock" is an
understatement.  I have a feeling my obsolete spark
gaps will be crackling along for years to come--and at
a small fraction of the cost.  Even if big-bore IGBTs
ever do fit into my hobby budget, the new coil will
have to share the workshop with the noisy old ozone
makers that taught me how to coil.  Besides, a
hand-crafted spark gap of brass or copper or tungsten
is a thing of beauty in both form and function.

Nothing against progress.  IGBT coils are nothing less
than a breakthrough.  I hope to build one some day.  I
even bought a copy of Dan McCauley's DRSSTC book and
pored over every page.  It now has a favored spot in
my sparse technical library.  But spark gaps gone the
way of the dinosaur?  For my thoughts on that, see my
first paragraph!

Cheers,

Greg

The fish are biting.