Positive experience w/ Jack King

Original poster: FIFTYGUY@xxxxxxx
Folks-

In light of some recent discussion here about customer service from certain TCML members, and in the general interest of giving credit to a "good guy", here's my public thanks to Jack King:

Jack posted a few weeks ago that he was cleaning house and needed to get rid of a bunch of x-ray transformers. It was either sell them or scrap them. Since I have the "high voltage disease", and come from a long line of pack rats, I decided now would be a good time to add an x-ray x-frmr to my pile of toys. Due to *my* limited space, I had extensive e-mail conversations with Jack to try to pick out the smallest x-frmr he had available.

At all times Jack replied immediately and in great detail. Due to the limited time involved, the first transformer I was thinking about went to another customer who knew what they wanted. In compensation, Jack lowered his price on the next x-frmr on my list. He sold it to me for less than he would have gotten from the scrap yard!

Part of what took so long to seal the deal was my requirement that Jack do some basic tests to make sure I got a working unit. Jack took the time to do this, and so far it looks like I got a nice one! He also took the time to patiently answer my questions and explain some of the finer points of x-ray transformer design and construction, so I could properly modify the unit to suit my needs.

Additionally, Jack crated up the unit at no extra charge. He had it shipped to me at low cost (he's got a great deal with his freight company).

Not only did I buy the x-ray x-fmr from Jack, but also a pair of pig bushings and some HV wiring as well (4 gauge 15 kV jumper cable!). Good price on those, too!

On top of this, he included *free* in the crate another item of not insubstantial worth! I'm not saying *what* it was without Jack's permission, on the grounds that his other customers might say "why didn't I get the same treatment"? Human nature...

     Here's the kicker:

A coupla months ago, Jack posted to the TCML that he had an ongoing business problem with one of our members. He had shipped a bunch of stuff off to this other member, and allegedly had never received payment. This other member was a very well-established, well-known figure in the high-voltage community, and Jack was even reluctant to bring the mess to public attention.

Well, I guess Jack didn't learn his lesson! Because he went ahead and shipped all this stuff to me before I even mailed his payment! Jack has never met me, we've never talked on the phone, and we don't have any common friends or references beyond this mailing list. I'm a "nobody", yet he treated me like his best buddy!

So here's to Jack King! I believe he really cares about the high voltage community, and has demonstrated that he's willing to go out of his way to help out his fellow hobbyists. He has a real passion about our hard-to-find equipment, and wants it to find a good home. Drop him a line:

    Jack King   <mailto:ekklekktikk@xxxxxxxxxxx>ekklekktikk@xxxxxxxxxxx

-Phil LaBudde