Lightning from Fingertips Trick

Original poster: "Chris Fanjoy" <zappyman@xxxxxxxxxxx>

I've always been fascinated by the human lightning tricks done with Tesla coils, and would like to do something on my own for an online production video - although on a very small scale, say using 1/2" sparks to light a bulb, cigarette, etc. I have a fairly large VTTC coil and I did some (very careful) experimenting the other night, using just a few kV of output. I attempted to make some sort of isolating platform for myself to stand on, but couldn't seem to make it work. Even when standing on 5" of styrofoam with (thin) plexiglass overtop, my fingers would still draw sparks when I brought them near the coil. This was with the coil secondary grounded to a water pipe. Does it have something to do with the grounding of the coil, or is there something I'm missing here?
  Any advice would be appreciated.

Buy, Load, Play. The new Sympatico / MSN Music Store works seamlessly with Windows Media Player. Just Click <http://g.msn.com/8HMBENCA/2746??PS=47575>PLAY.