Re: H.V. meters - Was: 18" sparks at 2KVA -

Original poster: "resonance" <resonance@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

MCM Electronics, Centerville, OH, has some very nice HV probes, 30 kV AC, 50 kV DC, for around $65. They plug right into a standard multimeter. I've checked them against calibrated sources and they are very accurate. Used most for TV HV tests by TV repair techs.

Dr. Resonance

Hey guys,

Yes, that's the way I've been running my coil since last year... I only have
a meter capable of measuring 3kV so I am not exactly sure what the voltage
is. Brett, you are probably right with your 7kV estimate.

FYI, for anyone having a need to precisely measure HV, I will be placing several electrostatic voltmeters for sale on E-bay in a few days. Some of the meters are in the 5 KV range, some as high as 30 K.V. The really nice ones have 3 separate, switch selectable ranges. Looking in E-bay today, I'm finding several of the 30 to 40 k.v. meters out there, with "Buy-it-now" prices in the $500 to $700 range. I think this is ridiculously high, and I will be starting bidding at around $150 price range for the big ones, $100 for the lower voltage units. Electrostatic meters typically have an accuracy of around 1% at full scale reading, and measure both A.C. and D.C. A.C. measurements are in volts r.m.s. The impedance of these meters is in the giga to tera ohm range, so you don't have to worry about loading down low-current sources.. All meters will be pre-tested on a H.V. variable d.c. source and cross checked against other meters before selling them. I have no way to calibrate them, but the cross-check should insure reasonable accuracy.

If anyone wants to discuss buying one before I put them on E-bay, please contact me off-list.

Bert Pool