From: Tesla list [mailto:tesla@xxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Tuesday, February 13, 2007 5:07 PM
To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: DC resonant charging, accel coil

At 08:56 PM 2/12/2007, you wrote:
>Original poster: "Jim Mora" <jmora@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>
>Hi Jim,
>
>The Accel CDI Coil has a "spec" 170:1 ratio. It certainly seems well
>designed. The entire outter body is a finned heat sink. The output tap has
>HV baffles. It didn't work well with my project as it has a very low
>impedance and is designed to work with MSD racing ignition modules. Check
>this ebay entry for a good picture and accel specs: 8074708769

That's a substantially higher turns ratio.. with 200V in, you'd be
getting 34kV out.  I wonder if the primary inductance and resistance
are much lower than a standard coil.  Back when transistor ignitions
were first being made, there were a lot of designs that used
non-standard coils so that they could more effectively use the power
transistors of the day (i.e. those Germanium devices with 0.3 VceSat)

If you have the ability to measure the DC resistances of the primary
and secondary, and/or the inductances, I'll be happy to put that data
on my ignition coil datapage...

(I note that the mfr specs don't always mesh with the measured reality...)