Re: Tungsten,2% Thoriated or Pure?

Original poster: FIFTYGUY@xxxxxxx In a message dated 2/12/07 4:18:45 A.M. Eastern Standard Time, tesla@xxxxxxxxxx writes:

>Most of the welding hazard data comes from "handling" tungsten not
>"inhaling" it so the risk may seem less to us as Tesla coilers.

I dunno if you've ever done any TIG welding, but the manual welding process involves meticulous attention to a weld-in-progress that's about a foot away from your face. Granted, attention to ventilation is always good practice while welding or heating metals (especially zinc and its alloys - see "Metal Fume Fever"). Many welding helmets for "heavy" welders include ventilation, cooling, and filtering systems. Already there has been much concern and legislation regarding the chromium content of welding fumes. Especially the Hexavalent flavor (a la Erin Brokovich). Since welding stainless steel involves chromium, and stainless steel is so widely used, many industries are affected by the recent attention. On the other hand, I suspect *very* few 'coilers stand close enough to their spark gaps to worry about the heavy concentration.

>We (Tesla Coilers) not only grind it, we blow it into the air with our gap motors and or fans...

Again, I dunno if you have any TIG welding experience, but it involves grinding the electrode ends to shape for the weld task at hand. As delivered, the rods/electrodes have a cylindrical shape. For various types of welding, one wants either a sharp point or a rounded point. In some cases a ball is formed on the end of the electrode by melting it and allowing surface tension to "blob" it. A copper "scratch plate" is sometimes used to preserve or form the point (so add copper vapor to the list of welding hazards). Of course, we 'coilers also generate so much ozone that ventilation is imperative. I have the feeling that if you can't stand the ozone exposure, you're probably going to ventilate sufficiently to alleviate any metal vapor problems.

-Phil LaBudde