Re: Duty cycle of OBIT?

Original poster: FIFTYGUY@xxxxxxx In a message dated 2/12/07 5:19:46 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, tesla@xxxxxxxxxx writes:

>I know that NSTs are not designed to hold a high voltage for a length
>of time longer than it takes to initiate the arc, but what about
>OBITs?  Are they designed to be at their full rated voltage for duty times?

    Good question!
I've owned four or five OBITS over the years (seen one, you've seen them all..). I've also seen them in use in their intended application. They live out their lives bolted to the front door of a boiler, subject to constant heat and vibration, paint, dirt, abuse, fuel oil leaks, and drastic (sometimes abrupt!) temperature changes. They seem to last surprisingly well! I think I've only seen one replaced in about 22 "boiler-years" of experience. As far as actual duty cycle, they typically fire for about ten to 30 seconds for each start attempt. Depending on how often the boiler or furnace is started, they may only have to run that 20 seconds once or twice a year, or up to maybe 100 times a day. Still not much of a duty cycle!
    For that matter, the same could be said about NST's...

-Phil LaBudde