Re: Primary coil

Original poster: Mddeming@xxxxxxx In a message dated 2/10/07 7:55:28 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, tesla@xxxxxxxxxx writes:
Matt D, I will only be using a 9kv 30ma
NST for the coil. Should I still add the HDPE plastic or will it be
ok? I think the supports are at a 35 degree horizontal angle, but I
am not sure of the difference between the two. I cut the bottom of
the supports to a 35 degree using an angle cutting table saw.

Hi again,
A 9kV RMS transformer will charge your primary cap to ~12.7 kV peak.( 9 x sqrt(2)). I would play it safe and use HSPE strip as a standoff and nylon wire ties. The angle can be checked with a protractor. The angle between the supports and the base will be either 35 deg. or 55 deg. If it's 55, it may give you some of the problems mentioned.But, on a first try, you can learn more from what goes wrong than from what goes right.

Good Luck,

Matt D.
"Experience is what enables us to recognize our mistakes the next time we make them" Anon.