Re: Variac Wiring

Hi Matt,

The center tap (3) is the hot output of the variac that goes to one of the primary terminals of the NST. It is not clear from your description whether (2) or (4) should be connected the line hot. If you get this backwards it just means that ZERO output is with the knob rotated opposite from the markings on the knobs scale.

If your variac is marked so zero output is with the knob fully counter clockwise (like mine), hooking the terminal (either 2 or 4) closest to the wiper (3) with the knob in this position is the terminal to connect to line_neutral. If (4) is this terminal, I would hook it to line_neutral and to the other input terminal of the NST. The terminal (2) would then be connected to line_hot. It is also good to see if your variac has a circuit breaker or fuse on its input. If so, this needs to be "in line" with the line_hot and not the line_neutral. Also, some variacs have a fuse in series with the tapped output (3).

Hope this helps,
Gerry R.

Original poster: "Matt T." <p2sarethebomb@xxxxxxxxxxx>

I recently bought a new variac to power my 15kv 30ma NST. I have never wired one before and do not want to fry this one. It is a Technipower 120v-8.5A 60 HZ (W5L) . It has 3 terminals listed as 2, 3, and 4. There is a diagram showing 2 at the biginng of the coil and 3 bing the center tap with 4 the other end of the coil. Am i correct to connect the input to 2 and 4, and the output to 2 and 3? Seems simple, but i don't want to fry this considering how pricey they are now a days.

Any help is greatly appreciated

-Matt

<http://g.msn.com/8HMBENUS/2743??PS=47575>Laugh, share and connect with Windows Live Messenger