Re: About wireless energy transfer

Original poster: westland <westland@xxxxxx>

Well, you may be right that Soljacic's work may not be all that original, but less because of what Tesla may have done then the fact that people are currently using the evanescent coupling effect in optical devices. Soljacic has borrowed and adapted the math from optics and put it into the context of wireless energy transmission, showing how it competes with other transmission techniques, and where it might be appropriate. It seems to me like OK work. Indeed, Nicola Tesla may have investigated the same phenomenon, but he didn't have all of the mathematical tools that are available today for modeling the effect (e.g., modeling in terms of 'tunneling' which wouldn't have even been considered before the Schrödinger equation in the 20's .... and I don't believe that Tesla was ever favorably inclined towards either relativity or quantum mechanics). Without the math, evanscent coupling would never really get into modern consumer products, which is Soljacic's ultimate goal.

Chris

Tesla list wrote:

"Soljacic has actually gotten a lot of publicity from this work ... he is Serbian, and in interviews has said that he was very interested in revisiting Nicola Tesla's work in wireless communication and energy transfer. I had read somewhere that the modeling for the phenomenon that they are investigating is mathematically equivalent to quantum tunneling (a portion of the probability density for the wave equation that ends up on the other side of a barrier). I think there is a wikipedia write up on this somewhere"

"I think the operant phrase in the article was, "The effect, which has not yet been demonstrated..." I found this revelation, which sounds a lot like the "wireless energy transfer" that takes place between the primary and secondary of any Tesla coil, to be completely "under-whelming"."

I think the only reason that paper got the notoriety it did was because some "science writer" [read that person who really doesn't know much about science or engineering but writes for the "popular press" which knows even less] saw some "scientific-sounding" words in it, liked the pretty pictures, and wrote nonsense. As Matt points out the resemblence to a Tesla coil is not coincidental at all except most Tesla coils (or radio transmitters or receivers or you name it) are better designed than his "rings with ears". These guys just took a very devious path to rediscover stuff that's been common knowledge for well over 100 years and their expressions for transfer between their two really wierd tuned circuits can be found in more understandable terms in most any handbook or text on "radio". Not being a physicist I can't comment on the "quantum tunneling" but think that was just literary license on the part of said science writer.

If Soljacic is really interested in investigating Tesla's works and ideas he hasn't worked very hard! The paper shows exactly zero understanding of what Tesla did and how his system was supposed to work and the only Tesla reference is to a patent which doesn't discuss the matter at all.

Ed