Re: Line filter -- where to ground it?

Original poster: "Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz" <acmdq@xxxxxxxxxx>

Hi Antonio,

Interesting. I can think of several passive filters that are not symmetrical. A simple one pole RC low pass filter being driven by a zero impedance source needs the R in series and between the source and the shunt C to be effective. If the filter is turned around where the shunt C is directly across the zero impedance source, there will be no filtering action.

With a line filter, I have seen many designs where there was only one common mode choke and that was between the "load" end (noise source) and the line to line Y caps at the line end. This filter would not filter common mode noise if the filter was turned around.

Please tell me more of what you are thinking.

Gerry R.

Tesla list wrote:

Hi Forest,

The only added comment I have is wiring the filter in "backwards".
Most filters are designed to keep stuff from getting back onto the line cord. Some filters are symetrical and how you wire it would not matter. If your filter has a LOAD end and a LINE end, I would wire it up that way and NOT wire it "backwards".

Gerry R.
Passive filters, supposing resistive impedances on both sides, are always symmetrical. Of course this is not true if there are voltage limiting devices at just one side.

Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz