Re: VTTC from Eimac 8755 on eBay

Original poster: FIFTYGUY@xxxxxxx In a message dated 2/4/07 12:56:03 A.M. Eastern Standard Time, tesla@xxxxxxxxxx writes:
>As the fascinating tome on building your own lab gear ("Building
>Laboratory Apparatus" by Moore, et al.) says:

Interesting. This must be a later edition (2002?). My copy (copyright 1983) is actually "Building Scientific Apparatus" (shouldn't that be "Apparati"?).

>"Don't build your own electron guns.  They're a commodity item, and a
>lot of time and money has been spent by the mfrs figuring out how to
>make them."

My 1983 edition has three pages on electron gun design specifically, in the chapter on "Charged-Particle Optics". Nonetheless, it says:

"The design of multielectrode guns is a complicated process involving time-consuming experimentation. A number of special guns have been developed ... , and most can be constructed easily if they are really needed. In general, however, it is best to use the simplest device that will fulfill one's requirements. "The guns developed for TV tubes are the product of much industrial development ... Cathode-ray tube guns can be obtained quite inexpensively from commercial sources (such as Cliftronics) or from shops that specialize in rebuilding TV picture tubes."

One wonders where to find a shop that rebuilds TV CRT's, 24 years after this information was published!

-Phil LaBudde