Re: About wireless energy transfer

Original poster: "Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz" <acmdq@xxxxxxxxxx>

There is a note in the Scientific American magazine about recent research on wireless energy transfer: http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?chanID=sa004&articleID=E87D47E5-E7F2-99DF-3AE75A880501B215
With a link to a paper:
http://arxiv.org/abs/physics/0611063

Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz"

Did you find anything in that paper which was new other than the fancy simulations and graphics and obscure terminology? I read it when it first came out and seems to me those guys think they're the first ones to discover that two resonant circuits tuned to the same frequency will couple energy and that the higher the Q the better the coupling? They don't seem to claim anything unreasonable in the way of efficiency. Although they mention a Tesla patent (Wardenclyffe transmitter with no receiver mentioned) I don't think they are at all aware of his World Power System patents or what he was doing at Colorado Springs over 100 years ago. His big "primary around the room" with tuned coils inside it pretty well represents their proposed laptop computer charging setup.

I'd be interested in your comments as the paper annoyed me and I was surprised it got published.

Ed