Re: *** SPAM *** Re: Help required - ignition coil Tesla

Hi James,

With the primary, you'll have to see what will mechanically work for you. I would probably select the house wiring from the list given but may also consider the 1/4" tubing. From a current and voltage standpoint, the copper tubing is superior, however, with a small coil the size of yours, the mechanics are difficult and limited. The primary and topload greatly affect the external capacitance on the secondary as they are the nearest external objects. The larger the primary, the larger the primary's external C influence. Imagine the primary as a round flat plate (if a flat coil) or as a cylinder if a helical coil. Actually, from an external C influence, there is not much difference between a cylinder or a helical primary coil. The reason I note this is because the wire size on a tiny coil like this using 1/4" tubing as an example will only allow x-number of turns before the entire secondary is completely overtaken by the primary. If the helical is too tall, you'll only achieve hitting the primary with secondary strikes (unwanted). These are the common difficulties balancing electrical behavior and mechanical limitations (especially when one affects the other).

To raise your capacitance you must reduce your primary inductance because you want to keep the coil in resonance. It's the capacitive and inductance reactances which are inversely proportional. Now, if you keep the primary turns low (say about 5), then you can increase your capacitance proportionally. Because the turns are only 5 or so, the primary may still be low enough to not cause issues with primary strikes. It will however cover a considerable lower portion of the secondary. A side benefit is resonant frequency for the secondary lowering due to the external C influence on the primary is larger. This will also allow you to gain a little more C because you need a larger capacitance to lower the primary frequency in response to the secondary's frequency lowering.

This won't tell you what to do, but hopefully open up some avenues that maybe you haven't thought about. You may just want to experiment a little with different L and C values keeping in mind what is stated above.

Take care,
Bart

Tesla list wrote:

Original poster: "James Howells" <james@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Thanks very much for your reply - I really appreciate it , and the others on the web

I do have a 5Kv 100mA supply but wanted to start with something NOT attached to the main 240 Ac supply

IF I did want to pursue this secondary coil and ignition coil power supply which of the following materials I have would get it to work
for the primary....................
a) 0.127 dia.  insulated house wire with solid core of 0.078 dia wire  -
b) 0.240 " dia copper tube
c) copper strip ( some sort of ballast from an electric fork lift truck) rectangular section 0.1" x 0.3" wide.

AND how should I wind it?

I could build a RQ spark gap and a new capacitor bank - if you suggest that I need to

YOU CAN SEE PICTURES OF THE SPARK GAP AND THE REST OF THE BUILD SO FAR AT
http://photos.yahoo.com/jmshwlls

www.SpamJab.com {UgzndUInruKjv2Cy9r}