Re: vttc_project_picture

Original poster: "Steve Ward" <steve.ward@xxxxxxxxx>

Actually, the triac never has to interrupt the line current.  It turns
on at some point during the half-sine wave, and stays on till the zero
current crossing (it HAS to, its an SCR, and not a GTO type).

Anyway, the leakage inductance better NOT be substantial compared to
the resistive load presented by the tube filament, or else you have
one junky transformer.  Transformer should not = inductive ballast!!!

Steve Ward

Original poster: Skip Malley <skip@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

The leakage inductance would be enough to make some very high voltage
spikes when the triac opens.  I suspect that the leakage inductance
of a transformer of the size needed for an 833 filament would be
quite substantial as far as the triac is concerned. Any light dimmer
that I have ever seen states FOR INCANDESCENT LOADS ONLY.

Give it a try with a small transformer and resistive load with a
scope looking that the AC

Skip