[TCML] Subject: current & fuses

Subject: current & fuses

Hi gang,

I ran the coil for friends and neighbors last night. I actually worked on it more than I ran it,
never the less, we got a nice show for five runs of about a minute each.

Each run ended with a blown 20A fuse.  My transformer is .120mA @ 120V.
The more I work on this coil, the less I know, so I am asking on the list.

Please correct me where I am wrong.
My understanding is that current and voltage are inversely proportional.
therefore my xfmr mains current draw should be x where 15000V / 120V = x / .120A so x=15A.

The xfmr is dead. case is swollen. Should I bother to de-pot it and attempt a rebuild / shunt removal?
Would an ammeter redlined @ 15 A aid in setting SRSG?

Am I Waaay off base??

BTW, my next door neighbor, a carpenter, solved the cap blowing problem, the cases of these little oil filled snubbers should not be touching. One shorting to case will cause adjacent caps to short to case. A serpentine string solved that.

Now I wonder what over amped the xfmer. Of course, after a long day, several beers, and my propensity to "pour the coal to it" is a factor. I am only getting < 40' streamers instead of the supposed 70'"o 80" possible. Is this due to an under-sized toriod?
Or only 700  turn secondary instead of 1000+ ?

Thanks again,
Marko