RE: [TCML] Strike rings - to use or not to use; was: Newbie Grounding Question

... my old 8" dia. ,5kw coil had a strike rail,..it was slightly larger in dia than the primary and i kept in as low as possible , just barely above the pri. horz. plane....seemed to work ok...

       the 4" /3kw coil i now run has no strike rail,   although my safety gap fires occationally while operating, the gap doesnt fire when the pri. takes a hit ?   (single bushing mini piglet ,,, sec coil , trans case ,inside turn of Pri. all tie to the same earth ground ).

     if one was to lay a thick plex or poly  disk on top of the primary, would this seem as a less tempting target ? I dunno :-0

 im running the Ol' rolled polly oil  caps, and havnt had a failure from pri strikes  yet. I could see a strike rail causing problems, if set to high,.ive seen pics of coils in operation and you can see the corona from the top turns of the sec down to the strike rail,

                     sorry, this was prob no help at all  :-(       // keep 'em sparkin', dave ,..HAPPY 2008 !!