Re: [TCML] HOORAY!!! my first coil works!

Hi Marko,

The reason I chose this capacitor value is that I simply did not know any better. The only calculations that I knew to do at the time was to size it to transformer resonance.

No problem. LTR is simply to use a cap that is larger than the cap size that would be resonant with the transformer. This is mainly to save NST's in particular which just can't handle much voltage stress and also helps to save caps. For static gaps, the typical value is 1.5 x resonant cap size. For SRSG's, about 2.3 x resonant cap size. You should take a few minutes and read up on resonant charging at Richie Burnetts web site. Richie has put together some graphs which are very helpful.
http://www.richieburnett.co.uk/resonant.html#resonant

A larger toroid would be nice, perhaps I will make another after I get this setup sorted out. I used what I could find, and having never built a coil before, much less a toroid, I simply "plucked figures from air" (PFA). Most of this coil's design was PFA.

It's wise to use what you have. I was mainly looking at optimizing the top terminal. This is something you can do later on if desired.

Take care,
Bart