Re: [TCML] Phase control and cap size

My limited experience tells me that when I did it, the
size and manufacturer of the motor and variac affected
cap size. I ended up with cap sizes that were
sometimes different than what other folks used. I have
dozens of run caps I've collected over the years from
1 uF all the way to 45 or 50, so zeroing in was easy.
Run caps can be found in old refrigerators, air
conditioner compressors, and on the fans for air
conditioners. If you have a metal recycling place, or
transfer station, you might try there. I've also found
air conditioners and refrigerators dumped in vacant
lots, ready to be harvested.

However, mine ended up at 115 uF using a 1/4 hp 1,800
rpm motor with a 120 volt 45 amp Powerstat. At that
size, going up in 1 uF increments was less than a 1%
change, while 1 uF increments for yours is an order of
magnitude larger, on a percentage basis. So it would
seem that yours may well be more sensitive.

Though I've not tried it, microwave caps would
probably work just fine. Given their sizes, they could
help you fine tune.

Adam