Re: [TCML] HOORAY!!! my first coil works!

Hi Marko,

snipp....

----- Original Message ----- From: "mark olson" <kc5gym@xxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, December 29, 2007 1:57 AM
Subject: Re: [TCML] HOORAY!!! my first coil works!

If you put 2 strings of 20 caps in parallel, you'll have 0.05uF (which is LTR for SRSG's). Each cap will see about 600V which is excellent. You'll have to adjust the tap to 6 turns. This is not ideal, but the toroid and coil sets that limit.

I did not (still do not?) know what LTR is.

(L)arger (T)han (R)esonant - a capacitor whose capacitance is larger
than what would resonate with the natural impedance of the power
supply transformer's secondary HV windings at the mains AC fre-
quency (50 or 60 hz). LTR capacitance is often used to prevent
the serious resonant overvoltage condition that can cause insulation
failure of the internal windings of the transformer or the dielectric of
the capacitor when using a capacitor whose capacitance happens to
fall at or near resonance with the secondary winding of the transformer.
I'll let some of the more mathematically inclined explain the mathemati-
cal formulae for this as I always seem to forget the exact placement
of the figures from memory.

Thanks
Marko

David Rieben