Re: [TCML] Suggestions for a mini-TC?

In a message dated 12/24/07 10:48:33 PM Eastern Standard Time,
goodman_jason@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

> >Most large coils use exposed copper tube for the primary.  There
> >should be no problem using insulated wire for this, right?  I'm also
> >considering a design in which the high-voltage, high-current primary
> >circuit is enclosed in a (ventilated) plexiglas box, with the primary
> >coil mounted to the underside of the top of the box.

You can use insulated wire although this makes it
harder to tap the primary for tuning.  I use insulated
wire for my primary on my TT-42 coil which I show
at my website.  Also an off-axis tuning coil can be
used for tuning, although this affects teh coupling.
And yes you can put the primary inside the plastic
box.  I also show a smaller coil which gives 9"
sparks at my website.  This also has an insulated
wire primary placed under a sheet of plexiglas.
I gave my website URL in my previous email.

John