Re: [TCML] Pictures of my Tesla Coil

Hi Dirk,

Make sure the coil is RF grounded and that RF ground is dedicated. If you forget to do that, it does play havoc on the house. I lost a computer from just such a situation with a small coil. It started with the sound card but eventually the whole video section of the motherboard died. I'm using a super slow computer at the moment (guess what was on my Christmas list to Santa?).

I even killed my sons xbox360 during that same run. As I studied the coil, I realized I didn't have RF ground hooked up (the cable was lying there on the floor). So many years of running coils and this day I had problems? What was different? RF ground was different (clear as night and day). The coil ran fine without RF ground, but the house didn't like it. Lucky for me, my sons xbox360 was replaced at no charge by the manufacturer (Microsoft I think).

Cautious is good. Bad things can happen. The further you are away from the coil the better. But, if their on the same circuit, bad things can happen regardless. Make sure RF ground is a low impedance for the coil. If it's too high, it "will" find a way back into the mains and to everything connected to mains ground. Those transients will also travel along hot and neutral. But with a decent RF ground, that current has a place to go.

Take care,
Bart

Dirk Stubbs wrote:
snip

Anxious to try once the weather clears up in Kansas. I am not confident
with running the coil in the house as I have alot of computers and
afraid something bad will happen. Call me a chicken I guess. :)