Re: [TCML] Pictures of my Tesla Coil

Hi Ed,

Power on those particular photos is in the range of 1500W (much more than Dirks coil).

It is a powerful little coil. Important to keep the garage door open for ventilation (especially during my endurance runs). I've had no problems at all. But, I did manage to put too much power to the little coil and cause it to burn. I fixed this by removing some of the bottom secondary turns (the burned area). This reduced k a little (3/8"). It burned a second time and I did the same. After this second removal of turns and a little lower k, I've been able to run this coil continuously for 30 minutes without problems. The sparks are still just as long and powerful.

As a matter of fact, I ran it last night for about 5 minutes continuous (for giggles).

That little coil is painted demon red these days. In some of those photo's you probably saw the streamers hitting my slightly larger coil next to it (my 8.5" high turn coil). What I did was ground the larger coils toroid with a wire (to send those sparks safely to ground). It also provided a grounded target in the process. So of course the sparks found their way to that coil.

Take care,
Bart

Ed Phillips wrote:
What's the power input to that coil? With all those streamers floating around the garage have you had any disasters?
Ed