Re: [TCML] Pictures of my Tesla Coil

These coils can handle rather high power with no problems as long as you keep racing sparks away. About 5% more primary inductance above the resonant tune point is good to help with this especially when power is increased. The other item is to keep coupling high but not so high that racing sparks occur. Also, if high powers are used (say greater than 100mA transformer), you have to keep an eye on the lower secondary windings as they can begin to burn. I run a very similar coil but I had to lower coupling due to the bottom sec turn burning (no racing sparks, just burning). The transformer is a 12/60 NST with 1/2 the shunts removed. Since I fixed that I've done some rather long continuous runs on the coil (20 to 30 minute runs which is extreme for a coil, but it just keeps on going).

Here's some photo's of that coil for reference.
http://www.classictesla.com/photos/ba45/ba45.html

Take care,
Bart"

What's the power input to that coil? With all those streamers floating around the garage have you had any disasters?
Ed