Re: [TCML] Looking for journal paper describing Tesla Coils

Jim Lux wrote:

I'm looking for a paper, published in a peer-reviewed journal, that describes spark gap type tesla coils.  It's to be used as a reference in another paper I'm writing, and I'd like to do something like:

The Tesla Coil can be represented as two coupled LC resonant circuits, as described by author[ref 1].

where [ref 1] is what I'm looking for.

I've got Marco Denicolai's paper from Rev Sci Inst (Sep 2002, v73,n9), but it's a bit further along in the theory.. I'm looking for something a bit more basic. Marco cited Drude's paper (which I'll see if I can get a copy of), as well as ones by Reed, by Phung, et al., by Finkelstein, etc., but they all focus on optimum tuning, as opposed to theory of operation and basic description.

Jim

Jim:

I'm sending you separately a .djv file of Drude's paper plus one mentioning an earlier reference you might be able to get through the JPL or Caltech library system. There's also a pdf file from Science for April 5, 1889 describing Lodge's March 8, 1889 lecture [The Discharge of a Leyden Jar] on coupling between two synchronously tuned circuits. I assembled this stuff , plus a lot of other early references, when I was think of sending - someone or other - a letter of protest about all the publicity on Witricity. As usual I ran out of ambition! I sure wish someone else would take up the cause..........................

Ed