Re: [TCML] largest secondary coil you'd drive with an NST

Hi David and Jared,

I'm not saying less wire is better and I'm not saying more wire wire is better. There is a reason helical air coils favor a 4:1 or 5:1 range for spark production and it has everything to do with optimizing the impedances of the system as stated previously.

I'm not saying Jared's 12"x48" coil won't do well. It is on the edge of starting to get lossy to the point of affecting output and in this case I think it would do better with a higher gauge wire size in the 18 to 20 awg range (for the reasons stated previously). In reading Jared's post, a coiler might think "more wire is better, hey, I'll wind 5000 turns of 30 awg". Because I disagree with that, I am compelled to state my thoughts.

My 13" diameter coil was first wound with an h/d a little over 3:1. Experienced coilers on the TCML recommended 5:1. I didn't listen (had that PI ratio theory in my head). Well, it worked fine, but only about 3 to 4 foot leaders. I broke down and added over a foot to the coil (something that can be done with sonotube). It did much better with 5 to 6 foot leaders now with over a 4:1 h/d. I then upgraded the spark gap and hit that 9 foot range. For that coil, those were the two major improvements (and they were night and day).

I then got on the kick of higher turn coils. And again, going against the TCML recommendations (800 to 1500 turns), I wound a high turn coil about 1800 turns (I learn the hard way like everyone else I guess). At first I thought the coil was doing well (it worked fine), but after enough run time I started paying closer attention to power input and realized how inefficient the coil was. It was drawing too much power for the spark output, even using a very efficient G10/tungsten rotary. The problem was the high turn coil was lossy and a poor impedance match.

It took me a while, but I started to realize the experienced coilers on the TCML really do know what their talking about. Theory is always up for debate, but their experience is priceless. These days, I pay far more attention to their recommendations.

Take care,
Bart

David Rieben wrote:
Hi Jared,

I don't believe Bart was trying to make a "blanket statement"
by saying that the less wire you use, the better. He WAS
stating that you need to MATCH your coil's specs with the
power source. It would be rather foolish to build an Electrum
sized coil and run it with an OBIT and a 5 nFd primary C
as it would  be to build small 2" x 10" secondary coil w/ #32
AWG and try running it with a 25 kVA pig and a 200 nFd
primary C! Can you say "meltdown" ;^)

David

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jared Dwarshuis" <jdwarshuis@xxxxxxxxx>