Re: [TCML] largest secondary coil you'd drive with an NST

In a message dated 12/14/2007 4:05:01 A.M. US Eastern Standard Time,
btmeehan@xxxxxxxxx writes:

>I hate to ask this too - but what is the optimum aspect ratio for  a
>secondary?  I've run JAVATC, and have built a feeble (but  pretty) classic
>tesla before ... and have read but probably poorly  understood a few papers.
>I think that I'm ready to build version two of  the static-gap, NST-powered,
>properly filtered and protected  coil.  I just want to make sure that I learn
>as much as possible  before I start purchasing things that probably won't
>suit my  needs.
-----------

I don't think there's really an optimum.  If there is, it's not really  fully
known
yet.  The reason for this is because of the many variables  involved.
Sometimes folks want a coil to be compact so it can be easily  transported.
That may make a smaller narrower coil more desirable.  Others may  have
plenty of space and opt for a wider coil which might have lower  losses
since the same inductance can be obtained with fewer turns of thicker
wire in a wider secondary.  Some folks like to parallel a few  NST's.  Such
as coil can become rather powerful if 15/60 NST's are used with large
capacitors, etc.  Certainly the coil size should have some  relationship
to the input power.  A larger coil allows for upgrading the power  input
over time.  Consider Gary Lau's 15/60 NST coil which uses around  a
6" x 26" secondary and gives I think 74" sparks.  Gary can  correct
my memory if needed.  When I built my TT-42 coil, I was aiming  to
build a compact portable coil.  The secondary is 4.2" x 19" or  so.
I power it with a robust 12/30 NST and obtain 42" spark streamers.
If I was using a 15/60 NST, I'd surely use a 6" dia secondary.

John