Re: [TCML] Re: Spark gap Resistance

Hi Bart and Greg,

I also found it very interesting that Greg saw a 2700 volt drop across the primary gap. "Short" gaps used in Tesla Coils typically drop only 150-250 volts/gap. Since Greg's primary rotary gap actually consisted of four spark gaps in series, he was measuring about 675 volts/gap. However, this included the combination of electrode resistances, gap wiring resistance, actual gap voltage drops, and the total inductance of the rotary gap.

I suspect that the abnormally high voltage seen across the firing gap was due, in part, to the effects of the abnormally large peak current through the electrodes (tungsten?), and the associated gap and wiring inductance. The latter might have had a disproportionate contribution to observed voltage drop due to the relatively low inductance of the remaining primary circuit and the high di/dt in the original primary circuit. It would be interesting to see what the voltage across a single spark gap might be in comparison when running at similar current levels.

Bert
--
***  /\  ******************************************************
__  _\/_  __  We specialize in UNIQUE items! Coins shrunk using

Barton B. Anderson wrote:
Hi Greg,

I took a day to digest what your stated. I take it that the 2700V drop was measured across the spark gap itself and not acorss the primary circuit? If so, that's a huge loss. I went to your site looking for the 4200A primary, but it shows the improved primary specs. So, I ran numbers and calc'd 13.6 ohms of primary impedance which matches your 14 ohm statement well enough. What your stating is that by increasing the primary impedance to 14 ohms from 5.3 ohms, your wall socket power draw was half of what it was. Better impedance match I guess.

That's an impressive improvement!

I calc'd primary Q pretty low on your current primary (about 37). I'm still trying to figure out why the idea of high Q primary's are assumed. I think the assumption is due to the large wire or ribbon surface area and low turns. Doesn't work out that way, but I can certainly understand why it would be assumed. Maybe not so important. The primary and secondary Q's in my little window of the universe are getting rather similar.

Thanks for the numbers.
Take care,
Bart

Greg Leyh wrote:
Hi Bart,

I think that 0.65ohm accurately reflected the gap losses, or very nearly so, since the voltage and current waveforms were in phase, except that the voltage waveform was somewhat distorted relative to the sinusoidal current waveform. Still, by eye I would estimate this distortion was at no more than 10%. At 4200A the peak gap voltage drop was about 2700V.

Given that the operating Zpri was 5.3ohm, one might imagine that this system would nominally work, as it did, although with considerable gap losses. The design improvements made in 1998 [increasing Zpri to 14ohm, larger toroid] actually increased the arc performance while reducing the maximum wall-plug draw down to about 25kW. The rotary gap can now operate steady-state without significant heating, as the peak currents are now only about 2500A. GL