Re: [TCML] De-potting NSTs? ? ?

Or, drop it in a tupperware tank full of xmfr oil so it gets better cooling and protection.

Dr. Resonance

- - -  snip - - -

I depotted a 9000 v 30 mil allison transformer, I put the whole thing on a cookie sheet and put it in my gas grill. i tried to keep the grill around 250-300 degrees. after about 10 minutes the tar started meltin, after about 30 you could pour it out of the tranny box. I have to caution this is very messy! after you get the inards out, (most people dont recomend) i used gasoline to clean the actual transformer. When you got it all cleaned it is easy to remove the shunts. You shouldnt go over 3x (i heard from someone down the line) the I rating, i went 330 ma out of a 30 ma, it worked for a lil while but not for long. If you up your amperage your gonna have to get a bigger tank cap though, use java tC to find out what your gonna have to do.