Re: [TCML] Large Plasma Tube

>     Somebody expressesed concerns to me about non "plasma globe" globes
>breaking under vacuum.  I have never had one break on me, but if your
>vacuum pump just happens to be stronger than mine (or if your globe is
>cracked, or has a defect, or you are just unlucky) implosion is a real
>risk.  Just do any pumping in a safe area, so if the globe explodes you
>will not die or get hurt.  Be extra safe out there.
      I have seen largish vessels implode, years ago, in inexpert hands.
      The possibility is quite real.  Eye protection is GOOD.

Small Plasma Tube:
     This, from m emory, from a 'science eperimenter' type 'magazine'
     late 50s.  Never tried it, clearly doable.

     Observe Safety Precautions.

      Materials:
        Most ANY low powered HV source, AC/DC/Pulse.
        1/2 in ID glass/plastic tube, lenght to suit, maybe 6" was shown.
        Corks/stoppers for both ends.
          Bit of wire thru one cork for an electrode.
          Bit of wire AND a bot of class/plastic/whatever tube thrue the
          other.
          12 to 24 inches of flexible plastic tube, to make a snug fit
          on the cork thru the tube.
        Two 'hand rollers' used to be common for linoleum block crafts.
         (dunno if common any more: 1 in or so dia, 5 to 6 in long, with
          handles.)

        Wire power supply to electrodes.
        flex tube to rigid tube thru corks.
        corks in larger tube.
        Secure bits to suit: rubber bands, duckt tape, whatever.
        (may need spare hands....)

        Using the rollers, alternately, compress the flex tube near the
        larger rigid one, and 'roll away'.  This consistutes a manual,
        slow, simple, 'vacuum' pump.

        Depending on the Supply voltage, at some point, variety of
        corona affects will be seen, varying as pump down continues.

        best
         dwp