RE: [TCML] pole xfmr (getting one, prices, etc.)

$800-1200 USD is about right for a ***brand new***
pole transformer in the 10-15kVA range.  Common
options that drive the cost up include double
bushings, tap changers, and lightning protection
hardware.  But most people get used or junked units
and wouldn't think of paying that much.  Occasionally,
a new unit in your power range will show up on eBay
for a lot less, but you have to consider the often
brutal shipping costs which can as much as double the
final price tag.  MUCH larger pole-mounted units, in
the 75-200kVA range, show up on eBay all the time, and
if somebody wanted to build a real monster of a coil,
those would be great.  Sometimes, you'll even see arc
furnace and substation trannies on eBay! :-O

So eBay is one option, if you don't mind waiting for a
real gem of a deal to show up.  Another is Dr.
Resonance (known in some circles and D.C. Cox), who
often has 10kVA 14.4kV units on hand and ready to go
for a several $100's (will defer to him for latest
pricing--he'll probably chime in!).  The "other"
option, and one which I've personally used with great
success, is to pester your local utility company about
buying junked units.  The smaller ones are probably
more likely to talk to you.  All told, I've purchased
six working 15kVA and 25kVA units over the last few
years and never paid more than $150 for one (Seattle
area).  I also managed to fetch them myself from the
scrap yard, thereby eliminating the onerous shipping
charges.

Cheers,
Aaron, N7OE