Re: [TCML] capacitors

Hi,

As I understand it, you can choose over a large range of values for the tank
capacitor for a DC design, and the power is controlled through the firing rate
of the rotatry spark gap. The upper limit of the cap value is determined by the resonant frequency of the tank capacitor / charging inductor circuit, which must
be more than half the rotary gap firing rate.
Out of interest, what value of charging inductor do you have, and what firing
rate do you plan?

Also (please others correct me if I'm wrong) but with a DC coil the tank cap can
be chosen with smaller tolerances, because it will never see more than double
the DC voltage (no resonant rise).

Tom

Quoting Tomas Stankevic <Tomas.Stankevic@xxxxxxxx>:

I'm going to run a 25kW 10kV 3phase pig . I calculated that I need=20
250nF, voltage will be more than 20 kV (because of 6pulse mode and=20
resonant charging), so I think 30 kV is the minimum.
What do you mean custom-made cap?

Actually I have lots of capacitors,

Mddeming@xxxxxxx wrote:
=20
In a message dated 12/3/07 1:13:36 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, =20