RE: [TCML] Q

Comments interspersed:

Please share the basis suggesting that Q is a function of coupling?  I've not heard that before.  Of course higher coupling means that energy will be drained from one side faster than if coupling were low, but this has no bearing on Q.  Q deals with losses; energy transfer via coupling is lossless beyond the fixed losses in the L/C components and gap.  Truthfully, I'm not even sure that the concept of Q is relevant to complex non-linear networks (though I may be wrong).  I'm more accustomed to Q pertaining to a single component.

> You can also get higher Q by operating the secondary at its characteristic
> resonant frequency ( the wire length frequency)

Again, this is news to me.  Please share what evidence might suggest this?  The Q of any particular component is unaffected by other components.  I think the Q of a secondary is what it is, regardless of toploads.

> Smaller top end capacitance will also increase the Q of the secondary, but
> unfortunately will give a poor impedance match with less power output.
>
> One wants the Q of the entire system to be low. This means that your energy
> is being dissipated as sparks.

I agree that sparks cause the secondary Q to plummet, but I don't think we *WANT* the Q to be low?

Gary Lau
MA, USA