Re: [TCML] Re Electrode diameter

Hi Phillip,

If you have the 1/2" tungsten, I would recommend using them, especially on the stationary side. Everything heats up with enough power and the larger electrodes will handle the power better. I use 3/8" tungsten, but if I had 1/2" I would certainly use them.

Take care,
Bart

Phillip Strauss wrote:
Hi All,
I'm building a 12" diam. secondary SRSG coil running at 10Kv, 7KVa, 50Hz and 100bps. Motor speed is 3000rpm, rotor 12" diam G10, two flying electrodes at 11" diameter and tank capacitance 0.15uF., I have a selection of Tungsten electrodes, both 1/4" and 1/2" diam and have a choice of either two or four fixed gaps in heavy brass. Is 1/4" diam adequate to contain the heat or is 1/2" better perhaps to aid regular firing albeit increasing the dwell. Should the electrode gaps be minimal ( without risk of contact of course) or is there an optimum distance, again to slightly reduce the dwell time. I appreciate that the relatively low input voltage limits experimentation in this last regard,
Any help greatly appreciated,
Regards,
Phillip.