  From: FutureT@xxxxxxx<mailto:FutureT@xxxxxxx>
  To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx<mailto:tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
  Sent: Sunday, November 25, 2007 8:07 AM
  Subject: Re: [TCML] speeding up sync motors ?

  In a message dated 11/25/2007 10:38:16 A.M. US Eastern Standard Time,
  huil888@xxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:huil888@xxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

  >Tesla List,
  >I would like to hear if anyone has succeeded in  driving a synchronous gap
  >with a belt drive. I have been cobbling  together such a project but found
  >that the belt slippage negates the  synchronous aspect of the design. I am
  >looking for some cog belts that  might do the trick.

  >Any thoughts or experiences would be  welcome.
  >Jim Zimmerschied

  Jim,

  A cogged belt with toothed pulleys should work fine.  Just be  sure the
  pulleys have the exact size relationship needed to keep the system in
  sync.  For example if you want to double the rpm then the large
  pulley should have double the diameter and number of teeth than
  the small one I guess.  If you want to triple the rpm then one  pulley
  should have exactly 3 times as many teeth as the the other.  I  suppose
  this is obvious but I figured I'm mention it.  I'm assuming you'll  be
  starting with an 1800 rpm sync motor, then increasing the speed
  to 3600 rpm or 5400 rpm.  I'm assuming you want the higher speed
  to help quenching or to reduce dwell times.  Otherwise the  higher
  sync break-rates can be achieved just by adding extra electrodes
  while using an 1800 rpm motor.

  There are standard type cog belts which are very flexible and
  lightweight and should work well.  Some of the belts are black,
  others seem to be a more translucent material.  I've never
  tried the concept.  Maybe McMasterCarr sells these belts
  and pulleys.  Other places too.

  John