RE: [TCML] Some general design questions

I believe that the HV spikes that need to be clamped on the mains lines are common-mode, relative to mains (3rd wire or green wire) ground.  This means that MOV between the Hot-Neutral wires as you suggest won't do it, though they certainly can't hurt.  Since you don't (and shouldn't) be using the 3rd wire ground at the coil, you may wish to think about locating Hot-Gnd and Neu-Gnd MOV's within the Variac case, which should have it's case tied to mains ground.  My coil's AC wiring schematic is at http://www.laushaus.com/tesla/sync_gap.htm  A couple of high voltage AC line-rated bypass caps across the MOV's will also help cut down on AV coupled into the mains.

I would strongly recommend NOT tying the motor case to RF ground, leaving it floating instead, since no one should ever be touching it (and you may want to remember this if you're mechanically adjusting the motor phase).  The RF ground can have very high voltage transients on it relative to mains hot & neutral (and green-wire ground).  These transients may exceed the motor's windings-to-case insulation.  I once had a lamp dimmer case (used on a static gap blower) tied to RF ground, and the dimmer died a mysterious death.

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA