Re: Tesla Coil Firehazards (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2007 06:38:10 -0700
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Tesla Coil Firehazards (fwd)

At 08:46 PM 8/30/2007, you wrote:

> [...]

Not so.  I've used CO2 extinguishers (which, btw, are rated BC) in
the great outdoors to good effect on such things as burning flammable
liquids or things like burning electical stuff.  They're also often
used on stage sets in connection with pyro effects.

Smothering is only one mechanism by which CO2 works, the other
mechanism by which it works is cooling the fuel below the ignition
temperature. Yes, after you've blasted with the CO2, the thing might
be smoldering, and can certainly reignite.

>The space has to be small or the gas is disbursed and it is not
>effective. If you are in the space, you get smothered too!

An interesting question pops up.  If you have a standard 10 or 20
pound CO2 bottle in your garage, and you vent it all (e.g. by firing
that extinguisher), will you suffocate?

CO2 expands about 550:1, and, assuming that in the liquid state it's
about like water.  A 20 pound bottle (a 10BC extinguisher) would be
about 1/3 cubic foot of liquid, or, after expansion, say 200 cubic
feet.  A garage might be 20x20x8 feet or 3200 cubic feet.  So the
oxygen concentration will be reduced to 21%*3000/3200 = 19.7%, which
will still support life.

Now... having that 20 lb bottle in your 8x8x8 ft dorm room, already
packed with air displacing junk (tesla coil parts, bed, books,
minirefrigerator with beer in the corner, etc.) might be a bit
dicier.  Open the darn window.