Re: Identifying Current and Voltage on vaguely marked MOT. (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2007 12:13:13 -0500
From: Crispy Chules <crispy@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Identifying Current and Voltage on vaguely marked MOT. (fwd)

There is no way to determine output voltage or rated current from just a
wattage, but a MOT generally outputs around 2100V.  I don't believe that
there's any way of knowing the exact output without measuring it.  You
could get a theoretical current rating from this with (700W/2100V), but
the current that a MOT is capable of handling can often be pushed
significantly above the rated wattage for periods of time.  However, I
have also noticed that when running a MOT even below the oven's rated
wattage for long periods of time (over 5 minutes or so), it can get very
hot.

Chris