Re: Voltage multiplier (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2007 14:51:29 -0700 (PDT)
From: G Hunter <dogbrain_39560@xxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Voltage multiplier (fwd)

> Hi all,
>
> Please forgive my ignorance but I am about to build
> a new psu for my 4" coil (currently powered by a
> 10kv 50mA nst, giving 30" streamers). ScopeBoy has a
> schematic for a single MOT multiplier on his site
> giving 10kv @ 80mA. My question is; if I where to
> double the values of the capacitor strings, would
> that double the current or is my mind over
> simlifying the schematic?

Is this the schematic you are asking about?

http://scopeboy.com/tesla/tc2schem.html

I'm puzzled.  Are you planning to use only his
multiplier circuit, or are you planning to use the
whole DC resonant charging circuit?

Doubling the cap size will greatly increase the output
current from the multiplier.  However, the power
throughput of the whole resonant charger is governed
by a number of factors, including load, break rate,
dwell time, etc.

Let's consider just his multiplier section--without
the charging choke and de-Qing diode.  10kVDC @ 80mA
works out to 800W.  Since microwave ovens are usually
rated by cooking power, and since the magnetron is
roughly 65% efficient, this implies the MOT from
ScopeBoy's 850W oven may be capable of providing up to
1300W, or 10kVDC @ 130mA--a bit short of the 160mA you
are hoping for.  MOTs are built very cheaply, using
the bare-minimum core size and as few turns as
possible.  Translation:  don't try to push a MOT past
it's manufacturer's rating.  If you must have 10kVDC @
160mA, use a bigger MOT.

Cheers,

Greg