Re: SISG Coil question... (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2007 23:50:33 +0200
From: Finn Hammer <f-h@xxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: SISG Coil question... (fwd)

Tesla list skrev:
> [...]

I don`t think that there is a lower limit to the resonant frequency due
to the sisg components. I have run as low as 40kHz.
There may well be an upper limit determined by the IGBT and the
freewheeling diode, but I am no solid state expert, so others should
answer that.

> Is it possible to over-current a SISG?

Absolutely. This is determined by the current handling ability of the
IGBT. When I grew tired of the 600Amps limit imposed by the
IRG4PSH71KDPBF`s originally specified for the job, I switched over to
the CM600HA and successfully ran them at 4.5kA
You can see one such brick doing 1,5 meters here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vK17-CoB7LE
> How do I calculate current through a SISG?

You need to calculate the surge impedance of the tank, and combined with
the voltage, you have the current.

Z=sqrt(L/C)

I=V/Z

Hope this helps.