Re: first post (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2007 19:00:49 -0000 (GMT)
From: huil888@xxxxxxxxxxxx
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: first post (fwd)

Garry -

Why did you select the .015uF C-D type 942 capacitor instead of the .15uF?

Your target capacitance value is .06uF, and let's say (just for example)
you want a DC voltage rating of 16KV. (If you don's use the resonant
capacitors on the tertiary windings of the transformers you probably won't
get the full 4,500 volt output.)

A string of eight capacitors will provide 16KV (DC) voltage rating at
.01875uF. Three such strings paralleled will provide .056uF, very close to
your target value. The .15uF capacitor has a peak current rating of 432
amps, and an RMS current rating of 13.5 amps. Your three paralleled
strings would have a peak current rating of about 1300 amps. A total of 24
capacitors would be required, and even at $3.00 each that's less than $75
total. (Bear in mind you may decide to incorporate a larger voltage
margin, which would require more capacitors.)

If not already done, you should complete all the design work using one of
the TC design applications that will calculate peak tank current so you
can make sure that the MMC array will handle the current, and make sure
that your RSG and safety gaps are set to keep peak voltage in the primary
circuit within the limits of the MMC. How much voltage "safety margin" you
want for the MMC is something you will have to decide for yourself, but
you  might want to get the transformers hooked up first and verify what
the actual peak output voltage is to help you decide on MMC voltage
margins.

Regards,
Scott Hanson