Re: Tesla Coil Firehazards (Exploding paint cans) (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2007 08:45:43 -0700
From: huil888 <huil888@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Tesla Coil Firehazards (Exploding paint cans) (fwd)

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tesla list" <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, August 13, 2007 6:46 AM

Nathan -

A number of list members are trying to get a better understanding of your
claims as to the accidents you and your friend have experienced with your
Tesla coils. Well documented "accident reports" always provide useful
information for helping other experimenters avoid injury or property damage.
.
When someone asked for photos of you coil, you stated that you "no longer
have it" (Aug 11). In your most recent post (Aug 12) you imply that you are
still running "experiments" with it. Please clarify, do you actually have a
Tesla coil, and if so could you provide some photos of  the overall coil and
the major parts so we could better understand how your coil is built, and
what components you have used? If you don't have access to a digital camera,
I can send you a disposable film camera and you can mail it back to me after
you've taken the photos (I'll cover return postage costs and film
development costs).

You stated that your 125VA power supply is a 15KV, 5ma (???) unit from
Information Unlimited (Aug 11). Is this a misprint? Information Unlimited
does not offer a power supply with these ratings. Was this a conventional
ferromagnetic transformer (NST, etc), a commercial electronic gaseous tube
power supply (high frequency AC), a flyback-transformer based supply, or ??
Please supply specific details.

Also, you state that your coil, when operating, is "exceedingly loud", so
loud as to cause a disruption in your neighborhood if run outdoors.
Something does not add up because a 125VA coil would be absolutely miniscule
as far as Tesla coil power levels go, a tiny desktop unit. What was the
source of the noise?

So, to help us better understand the phenomena your coil produces, can you
provide a detailed, concise description of your coil's construction and
component specifications? Primary and secondary dimensions, wire gage used,
turns count, and primary tap point would be helpful. Also, the dielectric
type and capacitance value of your tank capacitor, the dimensions and
physical shape of your topload, and the type of spark gap (including total
gap width) would be very useful in evaluating your coil's operating
characteristics. The resonant frequency of the system would also be of
interest.

You have stated that the primary, secondary, and topload are located
"several feet" from the rest of the coil components (can you specify exactly
how far this was?). This means that the tank capacitor and spark gap were
located remotely from the primary. How did you deal with the inductance of
this interconnecting wiring, which must have been as large as or greater
than the inductance of the primary coil itself?

Finally, we're still confused by the input power level (125AV) vs the
claimed output performance (26 inch arcs). Is there a typographic error with
either of these values?  Did your coil incorporate any special design
features that allowed it to obtain such spectacular performance from such a
tiny input power?

Regards,
Scott Hanson

 (snip)