Re: Tesla Coil Firehazards (Exploding paint cans) (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sun, 12 Aug 2007 07:29:35 -0700
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>, tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Tesla Coil Firehazards (Exploding paint cans) (fwd)

At 05:49 AM 8/12/2007, Tesla list wrote:

> [...]

It's not a temperature of the streamer thing, it's a energy carried
in the streamer, which would then be transferred to the can, heating
it up.  I would be somewhat suprised if a streamer carried more than
5% of the coil's input power to whatever it hits. Not only is there a
fair amount of input energy dissipated in the spark gap and the
series resistance of the secondary, but there are probably many
smaller streamers dissipating some power, and, of course, you have to
keep the streamer hitting the can hot enough to be ionized, which
takes a fair amount of energy.

That said, if one had a small NST powered coil with, say, 450 W
feeding it (the usual 15kV 30mA), and you got, say, 20 Watts into the
target, and the target was a low melting alloy solder, it might
melt.  Think of using a soldering iron.  Pretty iffy, though...
you've got that big can sitting there as a heat sink.  Heating the
valve might be more productive as a means of destruction: low thermal
conductivity, low melting point.

>I am not
>always watching my coil when it is in operation. I suppose it would be a
>good idea to have a highspeed cam watching the coil and put a paint can in
>the streamers for an extended period of time to see exactly what happens.
>However, I am not going to try this. I will let somebody else (like a
>pyotechnician) replicate this.

An easier test... get a cheap soldering iron in the tens of watts
range, rig up a jig to hold it in contact with the can.