Re: Tesla Coil Firehazards (Exploding paint cans) (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sat, 11 Aug 2007 17:01:29 -0700
From: Nathan Stokely <50kva.54uf.750a@xxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Tesla Coil Firehazards (Exploding paint cans) (fwd)

This accident can and does happen. I have only encountered this twice and
only with cans that are nearly empty. Because there is less matter to heat,
the streamers can heat the can very quickly. Concrete provides an excellent
ground reference, so, a can of spray paint on concrete is grounded. Because
of this, streamers can be continuously heating the can. (I often run the
coil for extended periods of time and sometimes without supervision which,
is an unsafe practice, however, I do not have much time to devote to these
things.) When the contents of a can heat, they expand and this thermal
expansion can rupture the can causing a rapid release of pressure which
expels the hydrocarbon propellant and the paint out of the can. The mixture
of paint and propellant burns very energetically and can catch other things
on fire. For proof, some cans of aerosol have a warning which states "Do not
expose to electrical current. May cause flash fire." The reason it has
happened multiple times is because the only place I have to do this is in my
garage which is used to have many cans of spray paint on the concrete from
my friends skateboard making. If you don't believe me, I can't help it.