Re: Capacitor Safety Discharge Method (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2007 12:12:24 -0700
From: Ray von Postel <vonpostel@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Capacitor Safety Discharge Method (fwd)

Jim:
Sorry, your logic still escapes me.  How fast is the capacitor
discharged if a resistor is open?   Yes, as you point out "There is a
world of difference....", but what has that to do with safety?  I do
not accept that there is any safe level of voltage when it comes to
safety.  Perhaps you would care to state what voltage level is safe
under all conditions but I don't.

The bottom line is that resistors are fallible just as are O rings.
Don't trust your life to them nor advocate something that could and has
killed some one.

The best safety device I know of is a suitable length of bare copper
braid such as sometimes used to connect storage batteries, one end
bolted permanently to one side of the capacitor bank (Ground?) and the
other end attached with a mechanical fastener to a 1/4 inch brass rod
bent with a hook on the end.  The brass rod is an extension on about 3
feet of insulating plastic or fiber rod to use as a handle. It is easy
to see that something like that is in working condition.  So it goes
flash crackle pop.  So what if it keeps you or some one else from
getting killed?

I have had my say.  Now if anyone gets hurt because they refused to
heed this waring they certainly deserve the appellation for which D.C.
suffered flames, IDIOT!!!

Ray